No studio audience this week, instead…a guest.
- Special Guest – Pat Davila – His first computer was a Commodore Vic-20…Pat currently resides in Pennsylvania and runs a collection of Linux machines, as well as Android devices and MythTV setups. He is the co-host of the MythTVCast with former guest Dan Frey, and also of The Linux Link Tech Show. Pat joins us to talk about why Pulseaudio is a bad idea on Android.
- In honor of Mother’s Day…Me, Android, and my Mom..Son makes ultimate sacrifice, shares tablet with mother.
- In other News
- Wi-Fi Blocking Wallpaper may be commercially available next year. Blocks wi-fi signals, but not cell phone signals
- In-Flight VoIP call on a smartphone gets founder of Viber escorted off plane.
- The Floppy Disk means Save and 14 other anachronistic icons…Radio Buttons, Clipboard, Bookmark, Address Books and Calendars, Voicemail as a Reel to Reel, Manila Folder, Handset phone icon, Magnifying Glass and Binoculars, Envelopes, Wrenches and Gears, Microphones, Polaroids, Televisions, Carbon Copy, Blueprints…
- Wolfenstein 3-D turns 20 years old, and there is a free browser version.
- Wi-Fi Alliance is making headway with Passpoint Initiative, which will certify hotspots and routers to handle seamless handoffs between cellular and local wi-fi. For example, if you’re on AT&T, your phone could potentially transfer to a certified hotspot at a nearby Starbucks (which uses AT&T’s land line broadband connection to serve its Wi-Fi) without having to log in using a browser-based landing page or even an SSID/password combination. T-Mobile is the only carrier committed to Passpoint, the other carriers have indicated interest, but haven’t comitted.
- Platform News
- There’s a new spammy ad system called SellARing that allows associated apps to replace the sound you hear after dialing a number with 10-second audio ads.
- Thai government has signed a $32.8 million deal to deploy 400,000 Android 4.0 tablets from Shenzen Scope at $81 each, with an option for 530,000 more.
- Are smartphones ad other personal gadgets making us mentally ill?
- Android is Google’s weapon in the Ecosystem War.
- Companies may accept sturdier Android Tablet. There may be stronger interest in Android tablets due to customization possibilities for ruggedized constructions.
- Requiring a warrant to use cell tower location data would ‘cripple’ criminal investigations, says to DOJ.
- The future of Cyanogenmod 7. CM9 continues, but CM7 will continue.
- AT&T CEO says that Google determines update schedule for phones, Google denies this.
Episode 95 – Anyone Want to Sell Guru their Phone? is a post from Android Buffet Podcast – Hungry for Android? Get all you can eat at the Android Buffet Podcast…live on Mondays at 10PM Eastern. All Rights Reserved.